SMC is not a public shelter
Stillwater Medical Center’s basement is reserved for the safety of patients and employees. Residents who come to the hospital during a storm emergency will be allowed in the center of the building on the 1st floor only.
We recommend following the below guidelines provided by the National Weather Service. For more information regarding safety during severe weather, please visit weather.gov.
TIPS FOR STAYING SAFE DURING SEVERE WEATHER
- The safest location to be during severe weather is in the most interior, lowest level of a well-built structure. Examples of areas to seek shelter in a structure are: basements, bathrooms, closets, hallways, under stairs, storm shelters or safe rooms.
- Know when to expect dangerous weather. Watch the daily weather forecast and know what type of weather is expected throughout the day.
- Be aware of any hazards you might face during a weather event.
- Pay attention to all watches, advisories and warnings affecting you.
- Have a plan to stay safe. Know what can happen and what you will do to mitigate the event.
- Have a NOAA Weather Radio. Get the information directly from the National Weather Service.