To-Do List (Before Baby's Birth)
Preparing for childbirth doesn't have to be overwhelming. Below is a list of important things you can do to prepare for your child's birth.
- Choose your pregnancy and birth provider from our list our SMC affiliated providers. You should schedule your first visit for your pregnancy at 8-12 weeks gestation.
- Choose your baby’s provider. See a list of SMC affiliated providers.
- Every patient should pre-register for your upcoming birth admission with registration at SMC by calling 742-5274.
- If this will be your first baby, also schedule yourself for a pre-admission appointment (to be done after 36 weeks) by calling scheduling at SMC at 742-5622.
- Sign up for one of our parenting/birthing/sibling/or breastfeeding classes before your birth. Click here to learn more.
- Read the instructions that come with your infant car seat and be prepared to be able to safely put your baby into the car seat for the ride home.
- Pack your bags for your hospital stay and have them in your car by 35 weeks. Find a packing list here.
- Fill out and print your Birth Preference Plan.
- Schedule a tour of the Maternal/Child Health Unit if you have never delivered at SMC or if desired.